Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 18-Your views on gay marriage

I posted the wrong day yesterday, so here is yesterdays

WARNING: Please remember this is my blog and these are my views.  If you think that you will be offended by something you read, you are free to skip this portion.  Please also remember I DO NOT sensor my comments.  I believe you have a right to say what you want, however, I also ask that you are respectful in your responses so that I may continue to not sensor my comments.  We are all adults, we all have our own views, please feel free to agree or disagree...RESPECTFULLY.  Thank you.

On to the topic at hand, how do I feel about gay marriage.  This is relatively simple for me.  I believe that people, ALL people have the right to love whomever they are drawn to.  Whomever they choose to love and be with, if that relationship is a truly loving, solid relationship.  I do not think that love should have boundaries.  Why should people be restricted to love only the opposite sex because that is what society deems politically correct? 

Clearly there is a large popularity of people whom for one reason or another are not attracted to the opposite sex.  Should they be forced into a loveless marriage just to please society and their family?  Not if you ask me!  I believe every person has a right to love and be loved, and if people find love I believe they have a right to marry the person they are in love with.  I was able to marry the love of my life and have since spent 7 years going through the ups and downs of marriage with him. 

Why should someone be unable to share the same comfort of marriage and all it brings, good and bad, just because they choose a lover of the same sex?  Some say marriage is just a piece of paper.  If that is the case, why can't gay lovers have the same piece of paper I share with my husband?  Why can't the share the same benefits I share as a married person on my taxes and my health insurance?  Please give me one good reason why 2 people who love each other with all their heart and soul are being told they cannot legally be together.  It's like a slap in the face.

We as a society are completely hypocritical.  We teach our children not to judge.  That people are people and one person is no different from the next, no matter their gender, race, color or creed, and yet we do not stand by that.  I see it all the time, people stare at the person in the wheelchair passing by, people whisper about the kid with all the tattoos and spiky colored hair, people point at the 2 men holding hands as they walk, and a hundred other instances I'm sure you, yourself have witnessed as well.  We judge people everyday on their gender, race, color and religion without even thinking twice.  We even judge ourselves, how many times have you thought "I'm a girl, I can't do that."  That is a flat out judgement based on your gender, and yet we do it ALL the time!

I would LOVE to say I don't do any of this, that I never judge, but I just proved to you that I DO!  Before Curt left, there were a thousand things I would have used that EXACT sentence for, now there are very few, but I am sure there are still some.  My point is, we are all guilty of some form of hippocracy, it's a matter of whether you choose blatant hippocracy, or inadvertent, in my eyes.  Neither is right, neither is okay, and I am not condoning any of it, I am simply saying it is part of life in our society.  Take responsibility for it.  TRY not to do it, own up to it when you do.

As for the gay marriage, I think it's hypocritical to allow 2 people of the opposite sex who have known each other for a matter of hours to get married simply because they fit the mold of what society expects a marriage to be, and to deny 2 people that have been in love, living together, and sharing a life, essentially married but without the paperwork, to be married, simply because they are of the same sex and are not what society wants a marriage to be....well I say it's time to GROW UP world!!  Watch the divorce rate DROP when you allow people who love each other for who they are get married!  Society is not stopping these people from loving each other, or living together, or even starting families, so I say let them marry!

You may agree, you may disagree.  I know what the bible says about marriage, but I also know that God gave people free will.  I say ponder that and tell me that people should not be able to marry the person they love.  I believe free will trumps all....God gave free will for a reason.  Let God do the judging.

No comments:

Post a Comment