Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 13-A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough ass days (write a letter)

This one says to write a letter, but it doesn't say to who or why, so I'm going to do this my way.  No letter, just why this means what it means to me.

I enjoy all types of music, from rap and rock to christian and alternative.  I like the 50's, 80's 90's.  Other than death metal, there isn't much I won't listen to or at least give a try.  When it comes right down to it though,  I am a country girl at heart.  Country is the music that touches my soul the most.  I have always been a big Garth Brooks fan.  I know exactly how cliche that sounds, but it's the truth.  Garth was my first country concert, and the man can PREFORM!  To this day I would love to see him in concert again!  Once is just not enough.

Yet it is not Garth I find myself turning to on those days I need a pick me up, or the days I need some music I can have a good cry to.  I find that I most often put on one of my many Tim McGraw Cd's.  There is so much verity to his music, I can always find something for the mood I'm in.  Whether I need to jam out while I'm cleaning, remember that my life is not that bad and suck it up, have myself a good cry, or remember a great time, I can count on one of Tim's songs to do the trick.

I'll give you a few examples:

Indian Outlaw-

The chorus goes:

"I'm an Indian outlaw
Half Cherokee and Choctaw
My baby she's a Chippewa

She's one of a kind"

Curt is half Cherokee and Choctaw, so one time I asked him what a Chippewa was.  He grinned from ear to ear and told me it meant "little white girl with blond hair and blue eyes".  In my gullible, love sick way, I believed every word of it.  It wasn't until a few years later that he admitted to me that he had not idea what Chippewa actually meant, but I still like Curt's version.

Live Like You Were Dying-

This one means so much to me because it was played at one of Curt's brother's weddings, and all of the brothers and the wives (or girlfriends) got in a big circle with our arms wrapped around each other and danced together.  We all sang along at the top of our lungs, and the circle just kept growing and growing as the song went on.  I think whole the room was in it before the song ended.  That song is always a wonderful memory of such a happy time, and reminds me to live life to the fullest.

Tiny Dancer-

It's a remake of Elton John's 1972 song that I have always been a fan of, and Tim just brings a new voice to it.  I usually don't like remakes, I prefer the originals, but I do enjoy this one.  It brings me back to my childhood.  I know I grew up in the 80's and 90's but I was influenced by music from all eras.

Find Out Who Your Friends Are-

The chorus says it all:

"You find out who your friends are
Somebody's gonna drop everything
Run out and crank up their car
Hit the gas to get there fast
Never stop to think 'what's in it for me' or 'it's way too far'
They just show on up with their big old heart
You find out who your friends are" 

These are the friends I want....these are the friends I now have.

These are just a few of the songs that stick out for me.  There are many others, but I would probably end up listing the majority of his songs, so I figured I would leave it at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment