Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A True Christmas Miracle

This is in no way my miracle, but it is one that I personally witnessed last night, and I have to share.  Gunnar has gone to Primrose School since it opened in early November of 2008.  He started as the only pre-kindergartner in the school with an amazing teacher named C.  C moved up to become the kindergarten teacher as well, so we had the joy of having her for 2 years in a row.  This spoiled us to the enth degree, and I won't lie, 1st grade has been no walk in the park.  This school has been a huge blessing for our family in many more ways than I can ever begin to explain.  Over the last 2 years I have gotten to know C rather well.  We have shared some of our different joys and sorrows with each other, and she has always been someone I can count on to listen when I need an ear, and I hope she feels the same. 

For as long as I have known C she has put her all into her job as a teacher.  She loves children, and has always wanted to expand her family of just her and her wonderful husband B.  During different conversations over the last few years she has let me know of her struggle to conceive and her desire to let it be put in God's hands as to when a child would be right for them. 

When I got to the school to pick up Gunnar last night I saw a beaming B standing before me with an infant no more than 9 or 10 weeks old sleeping soundly in his large, yet gentle arms.  Standing a few feet away was a slightly stunned C with tears brimming on her eye lashes.  I walked into this scene and my heart caught in my chest, could it be?  Since August when Gunnar started 1st grade at a new school I haven't had nearly the amount of time to chat with my dear friend C, and I wasn't quite sure if I was seeing clearly what I thought I was seeing.

Sure enough, through the catch in her voice she was able to tell me that the sweet baby sleeping so soundly in her husband’s arms was going to be theirs.  They were talking him home that night and B had brought him to the school as a surprise.  B had arrived with the sleeping baby just minutes before I came to get Gunnar, C was still recovering from her initial shock when I arrived.  She told me then that she couldn't hold him because she knew she was going to cry as soon as she did and she still had to close up the school (it was nearly 6pm and almost closing time).  I could see in her eyes just how hard this decision was for her. 

Meanwhile B was standing beside me, a man of very large stature, he reminds me of a mountain man, or a lumber jack, if that can give you some type of visual as to his size, with the smallest baby boy and the biggest grin I have ever seen.  It's not often that you see a man so comfortable holding a child, let alone one so small, but seeing B hold this baby was so perfect, a completely wonderful fit.  They were the two most content people I have seen in a long time.  It was an amazingly heartwarming moment for me, I can only imagine how C was feeling, seeing her new family together.  Just thinking about it now gives me goose bumps.

We are all too aware that nothing is final at this time.  That sweet baby who fits so perfectly in B's burley arms is only with C and B for foster care for the time being.  They are in the process of trying to adopt him, but it will be a long and drawn out process to make him officially theirs. 

So I ask that anyone reading this send up your prayers, or your good vibes, or whatever it is you believe will tell the universe that C and B are the rightful parents to this amazing bundle of joy.  I personally saw just how perfect this small family was together, and I know it is what is right and true for them to remain together, whatever the odds.  I can honestly say that while I was not any part of this amazing miracle, I was witness to it, and I feel so blessed to have seen something so pure as the unconditional love that these two amazing people have for a child born to someone else. 

I know in my heart that this child is going to grow up with C and B in the warmest, most loving home that a child could ever be brought into.  My Christmas wish is to see this Christmas miracle follow through to the very end.  I want to see this perfect little family as legally bound as they are lovingly bound.  That is my grown up Christmas wish....I can only hope it comes true.

Edit:  I did not use names to protect the identities of those above

No comments:

Post a Comment